Saturday, April 12, 2008

THE POWER OF AFFIRMATIONS

Every thought and every word is an affirmation and is creating the reality of the affirmation in your life be it negative or positive. The thoughts we think often translate into the words that we use. And the type of words that we use has a lot to do with our confidence and sense of self worth and life in general.

Do you use words that degrade yourself or do you use words that uplifts you?. You often find people using words like ‘I am so stupid, I am pathetic’ such words affect the way we feel about ourselves and what others perceive about us. Ensure that the conversation that you have with yourself about yourself is filled with positive, uplifting and loving words.

The practice of using an affirmation as techniques is to use a spoken declaration in the present tense, which creates the desired reality. You do not have to believe the affirmation! The simplest way to do affirmation consciously is just to say them to yourself either out loud of silently when ever you can. Use them in cases where you want to counteract negative thoughts or words you find yourself thinking or saying. This is not a tool for the repression of negative emotions, allow yourself to accept what you are feeling and then give yourself the time and energy to affirm a more desirable reality after you have explored your negative feelings.

When you use an affirmation it is taking place in the conscious mind the design area and then the subconscious mind the manufacturing area processes what it hears. Remembering that the subconscious mind cannot distinguish from the truth or an untruth. The reason why one uses the affirmation in the present tense is to convince yourself that you are that already. An affirmation cannot be ‘I will be great’ as this is in the future tense and as you remember one only lives in the NOW. The more you say it the more you get to believe it and then this then becomes a reality in your life. The reality with affirmation and their continual use is that you have to break a bad thought habit you have about yourself. And as you know to break a habit takes time. So take on the challenge to use positive affirmations several times a day in order to break your bad habit. Here are some examples of affirmations you could adopt for yourself:

I am filling my life with peace and joy
I am healthy wealthy and wise
The power of the universe resides within me
I can do anything
I am in a perfect relationship
I have nothing to fear
I am creating anything I want effortlessly
I am creating my ideal job
I am breaking my boundaries
I am more confident everyday
I have an abundance of everything
I am peace and joy
I am confident
I can deal with anything that comes my way
I am blessed and live with an abundance of joy
I love all of who I am
I am an awesome being
I have nothing to fear
I am a beautiful being
I am love

Remember the subconscious is unable to distinguish the truth from an untruth. By just using positive affirmations on a daily basis you release positive energy from within your self, and if you are releasing positive energy you will attract positive people, events into your life.

So start to look at what you are saying. I often used to say “he makes me so mad“ but do I want a reality that affirms ‘madness’ hell no! So I now need to reword it by saying something like “challenges enhance my personal development”. So start looking at the thoughts and words that you use that are not promoting good energy and change the way you say things. Some of the things you could be saying are “my job makes me sick”, “I hate having to do this”, “I am so tired” etc Trust me when you continue telling yourself these things you create it in reality. The person who forever says “I’ am tired” will find that they are physically tired all the time. For these tired people consider using an affirmation like “ I am filled with energy and life”

If there are areas in your life that you aren’t working create affirmations around the situation. Some examples are ie. Problems with your relationship say “I have a loving relationship”. No enjoying you job.. “I have a meaningful job” . If you acknowledge that there are situations where you feel there is nothing that you can do about use affirmations to refocus on the specific area.

We have been giving ourselves affirmations our entire life. The problem has been that we have not been consciously aware of the process and the power of affirmations so we have affirmed a lot of things, which we could do better without. Additional to personal affirmations what others say to you that you can become a belief and then a reality. Think of the time that you went to work feeling great and some one looked at you and said “you look quite pale, are you ill?’ You reply by saying that you are fine however a few minutes later you find yourself staring in the mirror saying to yourself “you know I do look a little pale” and within a few minutes you actually start to feel ill.

Most of us have had parents, families and other peers who may have given us a lot of terrible affirmations, which were destructive to our self-image. We could have been told as a child that were stupid or ugly or incapable of doing anything properly etc etc. These are unfortunate, negative affirmations. For example when a parent walks around telling their kid that they are stupid this is a negative affirmation and the child could own this belief. This belief can then contribute to the creation of their self-image. Some affirmations planted in childhood are often kept into adulthood. If you are a parents be aware of what you say to your children.

Affirmations are very powerful so that within minutes of conscious, deep, positive repeated affirmations on a daily basis for a few weeks you can uproot unconscious negative ones. The truth is that you have the power in ‘being’ to be anything and anyone so the universe will support you in this truth. Remember the inner and the outer are connected so with affirmations you will impact your inner which will create new realities in your outer world, because who you are being will attract. The reality is that you need to break an old thought pattern. This is the part of reprogramming yourself.

Consider creating an affirmation for yourself that resonates with you. Affirmations that I use are “the power of the universe resides in me”. The affirmation of “I am great” does wonders for me when I need to give myself a confidence boost before giving a presentation etc. For affirmations to be effective make sure you have cleared yourself of limiting beliefs. You cannot walk around saying “I am love” if you do not love yourself. Continually be aware of the words that you use towards yourself and ensure that you speak tenderly to yourself ALL the time.

With all the above said …….. How can one not use the power of affirmations? So for those who have never applied affirmations before consider the possibility of the power embedded in this tool and try it out for yourself.. take the challenge now and stand up and say to yourself 10 times I AM GREAT, I AM GREAT, I AM GREAT…………. How did this make you feel??? GREAT?…. Have a look at the list of affirmations given above and find or create one that will serve you where you are right now and say it several times every day.

No comments: